August Garden Calendar
Find this article at:
Plants in Flower
- Crapemyrtle, Rose-of-Sharon, Peegee Hydrangea, Abelia, Canna, Dahlia, Trumpet Creeper, Cardinal Flower, Butterfly Weed, Phlox, Cleome, Hosta, Liriope and summer annuals
- Strawberries will benefit from a feeding of nitrogen fertilizer this month.
- Do NOT fertilize shrubs in August, September, October or November.
- Plant pansy seed this month in flats for planting in the landscape in September.
- Spider lily (lycoris), colchicum (autumn crocus) and sternbergia bulbs should be planted in August.
- Sow seed of the following perennials: hollyhock, delphinium and stokesia to produce healthy plants for next spring.
- Continue repotting house plants.
- Plant the following fall vegetable plants this month: beets, Chinese cabbage, cucumber, kale, kohlrabi, lettuce, mustard, radish, rutabaga, spinach, squash and turnip.
- Do not prune shrubs in August, September, or October.
- Peach and nectarine trees need a trunk spray for peach tree borers at the end of August.
- Spray the following fall vegetables for insects: broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower (worms), squash (borers).
- Continue weekly sprays on bunch grapes and tree fruits.
- Control the following woody weeds by spraying them with the recommended herbicide: greenbriar, kudzu, trumpet creeper and wisteria.
- Treat if needed lawn areas for grubs. Use the recommended insecticides.
- In late August, prepare the lawn areas for seeding if you plan to have a tall fescue or bluegrass lawn.
- Cuttings of your favorite shrubs can still be taken in August.
- If you are planning to do some fall landscape planting, be sure you have a planting plan prepared.
- Dig Irish potatoes this month