November Garden Calendar
Plants in Flower
- Witch Hazel
Plants with Colorful Berries
- American Beautyberry, burford Holly, Chinese Holly, Foster Holly, Nellie R. Stevens Holly, Nandina, Pyracantha, Washington Hawthorn, and Dogwood
- Use wood ashes around the vegetable garden, bulb beds, and around non-acid loving plants if soil pH is below 6.0.
- Trees and shrubs can be transplanted in the autumn.
- Plant one year old asparagus crowns in the vegetable garden this month.
- Finish planting spring-flowering bulbs.
- Time to trim existing asparagus foliage. Cut to the ground after the foliage is killed by frost.
- Cut back and clean up frost-killed perennials.
- When cutting holiday greener, use sharp pruners to make cuts above a bud or side branch.
- Mow your cool season or tall fescue lawn as needed.
- Keep tree leaves from collecting on your lawn.
- Water your cuttings in the coldframe as needed.
- You may want to try your hand at air layering on some of your house plants like dieffenbachia or dumb cane.
- Soil test results should be back if samples were sent in September or October. Apply the recommended lime to the areas in need of liming. Wait until spring to fertilize.
- Remember to water your evergreen trees and shrubs thoroughly before winter set in, particularly if weather conditions have been dry.
- Look to see if screens or windbreaks are needed around your home.
- Continue filling the compost bin with the fallen leaves.